Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Blue Sunday, The

On the road, I see a Skoda with chrome-finish alloy wheels. Instinctively, I reach out for my Nokia 6230, placed on the passenger seat of my car. But no. It ain't there. The reminiscences of the disappointment revisit me and I live through the pain, yet again. At home, my brother's N-Gage hums Sweet Home Alabama. Aah, mp3 ringtones! I had it too. At play, a sudden thought strikes my mind and I need to jot it down. I reach for my pocket and pull out my Nokia 1100 instead.

There are very few materialistic things that I get attached to. One of them is the phone I use. It becomes a part of my life and doing without it is unimaginable. As I step out of my home, office, a restaurant, or my car, my hands instinctively check my right jeans pocket to feel that candy formfactor safely tucked in. Without it, I feel incomplete. With a phone like the Nokia 6230, using all of the in-built features requires intense amounts of love and dedication. From having a picture phone book, mp3 ringtones, raunchy video clips, mms messages, sms messages that you never feel like deleting, photographs that remind you of the good times you've had, to logging onto MSN Messenger through GPRS and browsing the Internet - I did so much with the phone. Life was so organized with it around. It was more like a personal assistant who helped organize my life in my moments of fun, pleasure, and anxiety.

After having a faithful association for almost a year, Sunday, the 19th of June saw me separated from my phone. Yes, my Nokia 6230 is no more.

Sunday afternoon, a prescheduled time for cleaning the car. My phone, wallet, and keys are placed on the passenger seat. That's the last time I see my Nokia 6230. Me - using the vaccuum cleaner, sucking out the tiny particles of dust from the carpet. Nabil comes over and keeps me company while I clean the car. Later, Nabil suggests having tea. I take my wallet, keys and lock the car. Ride to the chai wallah on Nabil's scooterette. We talk about the profound meaning of life and how it has changed for the good - for both of us. We get up to leave and me - the trying-to-be-organized soul that I am, check my short's pockets for all belongings. The phone is missing. I tell myself, The phone must be in the car. Yet, to be sure, I ask Nabil to call my number. After a couple of seconds, reluctantly, Nabil tells me the phone is unreachable. We rush back to my car park, while checking the road to spot a silver Nokia 6230. Reach the car and horror strikes. The phone ain't there in the car. I go home to check if I've left it indoors. No luck, again. After a few frantic moments, I quickly compose my self. The phone is misplaced and possibly stolen. I call up BPL Mobile and ask them to deactivate my SIM card, for it has both STD and ISD. Later, me and Nabil head to the Police Station to file an FIR.

I spend my evening in the usual way - with R and friends. The thought of my lost phone stays in my mind in the background. Get back home and reality dawns upon me. My NK6230 cannot be lost. It's gotta be somewhere close. I relive the entire sequence of events in my head and try to figure out what caused the misplacement. Did it fall off my pocket while riding on the bike? Did the construction workers steal it from the car when I was away? Did it get sucked into the vaccuum cleaner? Where did it go? I find it extremely hard to believe that my phone is indeed lost.

After using 17 phones for barely 3 months each, the Nokia 6230 was the 18th and truly an exception. I had used it for almost a year. The versatility of the phone prompted me to love it so. No phone compared to it in terms of features, operating speed, and of course the presence of proprietary Nokia OS as compared to the Symbian suckers. Just a week back, I had enquired with my mobile dealer for a suitable upgrade, which again, is the newer Nokia 6230i. Buying it was on the cards, and my phone would have fetched me about 9k. People say, when things have to go, they will. In my case, I didn't let it go. And so, it decided to go on its own.

Even today, three days after the tragic event, if I may call it, I feel the presence of my phone. Somewhere close, somewhere far. Out of the boundaries of my sight and touch. I find it so difficult to believe it is actually lost. I check every corner and every crevice in my car, hoping to have my phone back. What could feel better than getting back something you love when you have lost it?

I feel like singing Oh, where, oh, where can my baby be? The lord took her away from me...

Now, for Mr. Phone Thief, while you are alive, you will get the worst news of your life time using a cell phone - mine or another stolen one. You will never get an errection ever and your wife/girl friend will desert you for your best friend. After you die, you shall rot in hell with the old cell phones. Their antennae will aim straight for your arse hole. The shrillest of the ringtones will play 24/7. And guess what? Phone batteries don't go empty in hell!

Oh Lord, please help me get over this!

PS: For people wondering if my old number is still active, yes, it is. I have a new SIM card with the same old goodie number.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home