Thursday, July 22, 2004

Rush Hour 3

No, this is not the title of the next Rush Hour sequel. It's my life as I lived it today morning.
Woke up at 8 a.m. after baffling two alarms only to switch on the bathroom geyser and go back to snuggling in the very comforting atmosphere created by LG Inc.
Later at 8:45 a.m., a background process in my head triggered the awakening. Eyes opened wide, and I cried
"God damn! Am gonna be late for work!"
Jumped out my bed straight to the washbasin and gave the microorganisms in my mouth a death sentence.
"Kya aap close-up karte hain...?"
I prefer Colgate Gel. It's "Fresh breath energy!"
8:52 a.m.
Nothing feels better than a hot shower. The warm droplets felt so good on my body. Each muscle and each nerve asked for more. Wish I could have been under the shower for a little longer.  But alas! One minute later than 10:30 a.m. and your name goes into the 'late register.'
9:04 a.m.
Put my hand into the closet and pulled out the first T that came out.
"Good, it's the dark blue T."
Sprayed a generous amount of Axe Pulse and jumped into my clothes.
"I love this fragrance!"
What next? Sprayed Adidas Sport Fever natural vaporiser on the T and I am all set to go. Do I hear my mom calling?
9:11 a.m.
Breakfast is ready. Gobbled up everything on my plate at choking speeds. Sipped warm coffee and I am fully awake.
9:20 a.m.
Slipped into my floaters, wore my jacket, and I am all set to go. It's my mom again.
"Will I get a drop to the temple?"
Mentally calculated my ETA at work (which is ETD from highway+ 43 mins under normal traffic conditions) and said
9:24 a.m.
I kick-start my bike, and drop mom to the temple.
9:32 a.m.
I am on the Sion-Panvel highway, throttle wide open, I am doing a very modest 80 kmph.
10:12 a.m. 
I am at Sakinaka signal. I peek into the watch of another motorist (I don't wear a wrist watch.)
"Damn! Is it 10:12 already? I hope his watch is fast. Time to zip through traffic at break-neck speeds and back-wrenching maneuvers..."
10:17 a.m.
I collide into another biker from the behind. No casualties here. It's just the right-indicator of my bike that has taken the toll of the crash. It’s cracked, withered, and falling to pieces. No time to stop and check. Signal goes green, and I put up a drag test and do a 60 in less than 6 seconds. Engine is roaring, muck on the road is splashing, and the cop is giving me an eyeful. I think to myself
"Who cares!"
10:23 a.m.
I am at the parking lot. A quick glance at the turn indicator shows considerable damage. Fixing it means replacement. I ignore it for the moment and get running. Get into the elevator at the nick of time.
10:27 a.m.
I am in :) Made it to work 3 minutes short of being late. I take a deep breath and relax.
The rush hour ends. It will be back tomorrow. With new challenges and possible collisions. I will wait for it. I will live through it. Amen.